Monday, April 14, 2008

Of Balance and Sweet Mystery

Grandmother Grandmother my heart is your drum
in seasons that have passed and in seasons to come
Grandmother Grandmother unbraid my hair
bathe me in sweetgrass be with me in prayer
Grandmother Grandmother wash me in light
wrap me in mystery's indigo night
Grandmother Grandmother take me to your breast
feed me your wisdom and comfort my quest

Grandaughter Grandaughter your heart is my drum
in past times of being and times yet to come
Grandaughter Grandaughter let me comb your hair
light up the sage, let me wrap you in prayer
sweet mystery there
the depth a woman shares

Grandfather Grandfather my hands are your fire
trusting and dancing are all that's required
Grandfather Grandfather I braid back my hair
and set to the work we humans all share
Grandfather Grandfather help me today
among my relations I touch on the way
Grandfather Grandfather walk by my side
in rhythm with my heart and the ocean's tide

Grandaughter Grandaughter your hands are my fire
open and ready to do what's required
Grandaughter Grandaughter walk here by me
we'll share the stories, the ones yet to be
sweet mystery
the distance a man can see

In the distant depths of my chemical sea
Grandmother, Grandfather
the God that made me
when I need counsel
the balance I see
is to walk beside Him and
sit next to She
when I need counsel
the balance I see
is to walk beside Him and
sit next to She

No comments: